17 February 2022

Some Great Small Businesses To Support!

 Hi dear reader! 

 


17 Feb. 2022
C.S. Sherin

The era of the global pandemic has given us all a lot to deal with and adapt to. For my part, I am getting ready to launch a new chapter of my life! I still have a lot of prep work to do, but want to give you a heads up on a few things now, in the drab part of winter. The pandemic and other life changes caused me to dissolve my former business at the end of 2020. In this interim, I have used this unplanned sabbatical as fertile ground for finding a new and better approach to life, as it is now.

Deep in the processes of finalizing my business plan, I can feel the beauty of this new adventure coming to be. I don't want to reveal too much yet, but suffice it to say, I am very excited and very ready for my new and lovingly cultivated (further) adventure(s) in self employment. 

Before I sign off and get back to work, I have some wonderful family businesses (and products), and a friend's business to recommend to you. I have zero compensation or obligation to any of these, by the way. I simply want to share some quality work that small family businesses, and one lovely Fair Trade business are providing. 

During this time especially, I have doubled my efforts to invest in and support small businesses like this, through being as regular a customer as I can be. Having had my own small business before, and heading into that venture again, I am mindful of all the risk, courage, and hard work involved. Please consider supporting these great businesses with your patronage: 

Haipazaza Phezuta is an Indigenous owned business, located in Washington state. This business was recommended by ethnobotonist Linda Black Elk, on her FB and IG accounts. Linda is someone who I greatly admire, and so I took her recommendation seriously. I wasn't disappointed! Haipazaza Phezuta shampoo bars, conditioner, and body butter are all handmade, with incredible quality, beauty and effectiveness. Not only do they ship right away, they also snuck in a free shampoo bar as thank you! When I opened up our order, it literally smelled like the sweetest, best prayers in all the world. And, my hair has never been so happy! I'm so thankful to be able to buy from a business that is an Indigenous owned family, with truly, such amazing products! Win-win! Site: https://www.haipazazaphezuta.com/ 

Dana's Kitchen is a local business, in the area where I live, La Crosse, WI. Dana's products are made from her own garden and her partner's, Adam's, barn of gorgeous, wonderful mushrooms. I have been lucky to be able to be buying eggs from Dana for some years now, and have found her to be a wonderful person, mother, and business owner. She works so hard, and is incredibly thoughtful and kind too. She creates the most wonderful hot sauces, mushroom based seasonings for veggies, pizza, and meat; and tomato sauces and dog treats too. These are really tasty, quality products! The hot sauces are so amazing, and can be added into just about anything with great results. There is so much joy in just opening a bottle and smelling it! Our harvest of tomatoes went into the freezer last fall, with some olive oil and Dana's seasoning. Heating those up and using them for sauces this winter has been an absolute delight! While Dana isn't shipping at this time, it would be worth your while to follow her page on FB and seek her out at events, if you are able. Site: Dana's Kitchen

Heart Of The Sky Fair Trade is a traveling and online Fair Trade business, located in Spring Green, WI. It is the great work of an old, dear friend of mine, Melinda Van Slyke. She has spent much of her life now, supporting solidarity work for genocide survivors in Guatemala; traveling back and forth, and supporting Guatemala women-owned textile businesses through her Fair Trade purchases. Her website is an absolute treasure trove of delightful beauty and joy. I am certainly biased about this one, but I can say with full transparency that Melinda is a wonderful friend with a big heart, and undying passion for justice and adorable and gorgeous handmade textiles. Her relationship with women business owners in Guatemala is one of mutual respect and joy, and it shows! Site: https://www.heartoftheskyfairtrade.com/ 

She just got some extraordinary new products in as well! And, her updates on FB and IG are always a treat. 

Until next time, take good care of you! 

all my best, 

Chandra

(C.S. Sherin)



No comments:

Post a Comment