17 March 2021

Good To Know: Quality Recommendations For Your Down Time

 C.S. Sherin
17 March 2021

First of all, I had forgotten a few things for the post on "What's Been Good?" and have added them. You will find three more documentaries listed in the "Well Worth Your Time" section, and under the "Therapeutic Creative Outlets" a program from WFMU was added, called Travel Zone.  I am actually listening to that right now! By the way, WFMU is having their fundraising drive now, and normally that can be a drag on some stations. But this is not the case on Free Form radio WFMU. I put it on just to listen to the guest DJ that joins the usual one for each show. It is like a weird phenomenon for me. I have never had that happen before. I truly like listening during their fundraising!

So, as I thought to add what was missing to that post, I have already compiled some more (but different) things that I have found recently, which have been enlightening, helpful, and important. So, here are some things that are good to know, and then some...quality recommendations for your down time or whatever time it is that you set aside for exploration and learning. 

THE WISDOM AND KINDNESS OF ZEN BUDDHISM
TEACHINGS BY THICH NHAT HANH

The following video addresses how to handle overwhelming emotions, as the title says. What I found so wonderful is that I found this video when I really needed it, and all of his words were exactly the right words. Thich Nhat Hanh, called Thay by his students, addresses depression and losing the desire to live, and more. He talks about how we can't stay up in our mind and hearts when dealing with big emotions, because that is like staying in the top branches of a tree during a storm. He reminds us to go down to the trunk and roots to be steadied...breathing from deep in the diaphragm. As soon as I got that reminder, I was able to do that deeper, anchoring breathing for the rest of the talk, and it was so healing!

 
"Handling Strong Emotions" posted March 12, 2021 by Plum Village on YouTube.
Plum Village is Thich Nhat Hanh's Buddhist community. 

One more...

"Loneliness And The Illusion Of Connection" also posted March 12th, 2021 by Plum Village on YouTube. This teaching is so helpful too. It relates to technology and our lives now. Even if you only listen to the first 10 minutes, it is so good. Learn how to "make peace with your loneliness". 

 

BEATBOXING BUDDHIST MONK

Now, let me introduce you to a quite surprising expression of meditation and chanting by a different Zen Buddhist monk. I actually can't believe I only just found him recently! His name is Yogestsu Akasaka...and he beatboxes, liveloops, remixes, and does guided meditations. It is amazing. I like it, and it looks like it is fun to do. And I can definitely meditate with this. Check it out:


"Heart Sutra Live Looping Remix" May 11, 2020, posted by Yogestsu Akasaka on YouTube. 


LINDA BLACK ELK

I can't say enough good things about Linda Black Elk, who is an Indigenous Ethnobotonist and a food sovereignty advocate. She is so strong, wise, generous, and has such a big heart. She really is a hero to me. She has worked hard to get healthy care packages out to Indigenous elders through this pandemic too. This video is a treasure trove of wonderful teachings on plant medicine by Linda Black Elk. 

"Linda Black Elk: Virtual Plant Walk" posted on July 23, 2020 by AICHO on Youtube. You can learn more about AICHO (American Indian Community Housing Organization) at AICHO.org. 


Well, that was all really, really good to know. I hope you enjoyed it.


Until next time, take good care of you!


Chandra

(C. S. Sherin)


p.s.

The violence against Asian American and Pacific Islanders due to racist responses to the pandemic is horrible, tragic, and utterly wrong. Please speak up to condemn and stop hate. #StopAsianHate

For more information:  https://www.stopasianhate.info/



No comments:

Post a Comment